sábado, 22 de dezembro de 2007


I knew her eight years ago. She was in my class. I don't teach full-time anymore, strictly speaking don' teach literature at all - for years now just the one class, a big senior seminar in critical writing caleed Pratical Criticism. I attract a lot of female students. (...) Ah, it's not a fast allegro, is it? Not at all. now, there's no Mozart piece with metronome markings, and why, why is that so? You remember when Mozart died..." But here I have my orgasm, the fantasy lesson is ended, and, for the moment, I am sick no longer with desire. Isn't that Yeats) "Consume my heart away; sick with desire/ And fastened to a dying animal / it knows not what it is." Yeats. Yes. "Caught in that sensual music," and so on.

Philip ROTH, The Dying Animal.


Sailing to Byzantium

I
That is no country for old man. The young

In one another's arms, birds in the trees -
(...)

III
O sages standing in God's holy fire
An in the gold mosaic of a wall,
Come from the holy fire, perne in a gyre,
And be the singing-masters of my soul.
Consume my heart away, sick with desire
And fastened to a dying animal
It Knows not what it is; and gather me
Into the artifice of eternity.

W. B. YEATS, The Tower

2 comentários:

Anónimo disse...

Um outro maravilhoso Roth. Outro, tal como o recente Património, mas igualmente a Elegia (Todo-o-Mundo). E a Pastoral Americana (Von Nixon...), as estrelas de Casei com um Comunista e a juventude perdida em A Mancha Humana.Podiamos ainda acrescentar o Complexo de Portnoy, entre mais. Este, aqui,o Animal Moribundo, com o acrescento fascinante de Yeats!

Anónimo disse...

Dois enormes escritores.